I work at the intersection of computing and design to explore and invent new ways of interacting with information. I author software that makes it simple, fast, fun and easy to discover, interpret and communicate patterns in data.
I am interested in:
- High-performance graphics, real-time information visualization, data visualization, visual analytics and self-service decision support systems.
- Research and development of novel HCI techniques for interactive exploration and analysis of large-scale data.
- Patterns, practices and programming strategies for building robust, large-scale, highly interactive analytical systems.
- Symbolic computing, interactive computing, distributed systems, compilers and DSLs.
I like tinkering with programming languages.
- Sponsoring - Zig.
- Actively using - Go, Python, Typescript, Dart.
- Planning to learn - J, Nim, Erlang/Elixir and Red.
- Fascinated by - Postscript, Forth, Joy, K and Q.
- Hacking on - Zero - a browser-based concatenative interactive graphics language that I hope to release some day.
I’ve founded or been an early engineer in three startups.
I currently work at H2O.ai (Mountain View, California) as Chief of Technology, a fancy title for “mostly programmer, programming” (10,000+ commits in Github since March 2014).
I lead the development of H2O Wave, an open-source analytical decision-support platform that involves several interesting aspects including real-time information visualization, search-driven exploratory data analysis, information retrieval and augmented analytics. H2O Wave has a novel language-agnostic rapid application development system for authoring interactive real-time information displays and applications.
I consider myself incredibly fortunate to be working with some of the smartest people in the industry, including Leland Wilkinson of Grammar of Graphics fame, and hacker extraordinaire Cliff Click.
In the past, I have been responsible for:
- Driverless AI - H2O.ai’s flagship automatic machine learning platform.
- Driverless AI for Excel - A native add-in for automatic machine learning in Microsoft Excel.
- Flow - a hybrid GUI + REPL environment for exploratory data analysis and machine learning. You can see it in action here. There is also a book about it.
- Steam - a platform for cluster management, experiment hosting/execution, model management and model deployment.
- Echo - a real-time dashboard system (folded into H2O Wave).
- Flux - a rapid application development system (folded into H2O Wave).
- Lightning - Statistical graphics library for browsers.
- Play - On-demand H2O cloud provisioning and management on AWS.
- H2O Excel Add-in - Predictive array-formulae for spreadsheet data.
Plot.io was acquired by Platfora in 2012, which in turn was acquired by Workday in 2016. The product is currently called Prism.
Previously I used to be in technology consulting with 3Com, Abbott, Aon, Astra Zeneca, Elan, Genworth Financial, Glaxo SmithKline, Healthways, Herbalife, Metlife, Northwestern Mutual, Pfizer, Sun Microsystems and XL Re, via Infosys.
- Evolved Machine Learning Models - (Pending) Feb 27, 2019
- Systems and methods for interest-driven data visualization systems utilizing visualization image data and trellised visualizations - Apr 3, 2018
- Systems and methods for interest-driven data visualization systems utilized in interest-driven business intelligence systems - Nov 21, 2017